May 19, 2014

The God In the Thunderstorm

I love thunder. It reminds me of power - God's power, on display for all to hear.

When lightning cracks the sky, I think of how small I am compared to a God like that.

But still He sends rain to quench our thirsty ground.

And did you know that thunder is only the sound of lightning? Yeah, that big scary boom is just the power-noise of lightning. And did you know that lightning is the spark kindled by masses of electrons and protons surging towards each other? Lightning is just a mega-version of those shocks you feel going down a slide at the park. And it is the rain droplets in the clouds that rub together to created the static electricity for the lightning. So instead of your body rubbing the slide to create a shock, it's like the clouds are holding a big dance party for baby raindrops. And somehow they rub enough to create a lightning-shock.

So thunder is the loud, awesome announcement of the brilliant power created by the rain before it falls. 

That's the science behind the thunderstorm.

But I think there is more than just science behind it. 
I think there is a God smack in the middle. 

Am I crazy to think that thunderstorms illustrate the Trinity?


I imagine that lightning is like God the Father, 
sheer power and glory, 
blinding 
unfathomable 
light.

I imagine that Jesus is the shock wave 
born of the Father,
rumbling power sent forth 
to shake the very foundations of this earth.

I imagine that the rain is the Holy Spririt, a very part of the other two 
sent down to quench thirsty ground
to bring vibrant life
Like Pentecost could have been a torrent of Spirit falling that 
hasn't 
let up 
since.

2 comments:

This blog is for you! Please get all you can out of it by asking questions and giving me your opinions! Let me know how God is working in your lives. If you post a prayer request, I will pray for you!