August 6, 2013

Love and some muffins


    Monday nights our little Summer-girl comes, for laughter and doggies, and garden muck boots. I gain another sister, just on Monday nights, the little girl we need to even out the three sons and two daughters. And just on Monday nights, our Summer-girl has big sisters and brothers to drag laughing around. On Monday nights we have a chance to love.


   But Monday, Mondays don't give love. Sometimes on Mondays and Tuesdays and Wednesdays, on all days love isn't free for the feeling. Some days love isn't free for the feeling, but we do have a free mind and can choose to be love. Because love is a choice, an action, a verb. A choice to take life or give it, to drain wells or to overflow. But giving life is hard. Overflowing hurts, sometimes. Why? Because giving is taking - from ourselves. Overflowing flows over with what used to be ours. Being love - giving life - costs something.

    The currency of love is a funny thing. God gives it unconditionally, everlastingly, yet for us to pour out what He gave us to give, it costs us in this world. In order to love, we hand over time and energy, money and security. But love, it multiplies when given. Love boomerangs back with peace and joy when it flows over. The giver of love pays in fleeting comforts of this world, yet gains from an eternal point of view.

    Time was mine, on Monday night. I owned plans, and treating myself to a good long chill-time loomed in my sights. But Mom reminded me of love, asked me to give time and plans to be love - to give life.

    See, I love baking, and a certain banana butterfinger muffin recipe looked like a perfect prospect of gold, Monday night. But Summer-girl needed a sister. Summer-girl, unknowing, asked for love. Being love has a million different caps it wears, and Monday night it wore a bright pink feathered one called making muffins with a four year old.

    Once I'd committed to love, it just kept flowing and I carried on, surprised at the lightness in my smiling heart. It was easy to get lost in the flow of love, to find fun where I expected frustration. Love just works that way, sometimes. Love, it's patient. Love is kind.


Love does not envy. It does not boast.


Love is not proud. Love is not rude.


Love is not self-seeking, and it's not easily angered. 


Love keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but it rejoices in the truth.

And most of all, love never fails. 
Love never fails to cost something from this world. 
Love never fails to flow over it's giver with eternal reward.
Love, it never fails. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for loving her! She LOVES her time at your house. And when ballet ended, she made a point of telling me she was glad you didn't have ballet that night so she could play with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad we can have her every week!

      Delete

This blog is for you! Please get all you can out of it by asking questions and giving me your opinions! Let me know how God is working in your lives. If you post a prayer request, I will pray for you!