January 16, 2014

Adoration and Two Brilliant Lights

"I was so excited when I saw the sun this morning that I dropped what I was holding and ran down the stairs," I declared to my sister as I encountered a pile I had abandoned on the floor. 
The sun - it gets me so excited in the winter... inwardly I call it my "pool of liquid gold" when I watch it spill over into the trees trying to hold it back and rises, molten, to the sky.  
See that speck of light down in the tree line? That's the sun. And it's a thousand times more beautiful in real life, I promise. 
But that sun? It shines through the darkness around it. No matter how dark those trees try to be, the sun still shines bright. 
Through the darkness the sun finds a peephole and lets loose a barrage of brilliant rainbow particles.
And the darkness? It only serves to make the light more bright. 
Instead of drowning out the light, the dark only makes it more beautiful, more precious. 

And it's just like God to christen our guiding light the sun. 
Because, said out loud, no one can tell the difference between the sun and the Son. 

Who also happens to be our guiding light. Coincidence? I think not. 

I get so excited when I see my pool of liquid gold...it's so beautiful, so exquisite, so alive. 

But the Son is alive. He's alive, people! Why doesn't anyone get excited about this anymore? I mean, if I can stampede down the stairs in the middle of my morning to gaze at and snap pictures of something I see every day... well, then I truly have no excuse for being ho-hum about the Son. I am capable of adoration. 
I adore the sunshine.
I adore my friends. 
I adore creating things.
I adore cheesecake.
I adore the Son.

Yeah, but how do I adore Him? I mean, if I grin ecstatically at the sun 
And spend hours talking to my friends
And work long head-aching hours crafting things from my fingers
And close my eyes in bliss at the first bite of a cheesecake

Then my adoration of the Son should be a million times more.
Really, Ariel. How much has the sun sacrificed for you?
When have your friends stepped down from a heavenly throne to die in your place?
Do the things you create ensure you'll go to heaven?
How many times has a cheesecake given you selfless, overflowing joy? 

Yup. I'm convinced. I don't adore the Son nearly enough. So, yeah... I've got my journey cut out for me, somewhere along the lines of learning to adore Him more.

But along the way, I know of someone who is always there. And He's given me an exquisite reminder of Himself in the glowing, spreading, darkness-hiding light of the sun. So much like the Son. 
One last thing. Remember how light always wins over darkness?

Well. The Son is light. So the victory's already won, my friends. But that doesn't mean I can go traipsing off into the enemy camp, now does it? I've got a journey to live, and battles to fight. Mission nĂºmero uno: 
Adoration.

5 comments:

  1. Coincidence? I think NOT!
    ---The Incredibles

    That is what I automatically thought when I saw you had written that :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Light wins over Dark. Always. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to get that idea, after writing about it all morning... :)

      Delete

This blog is for you! Please get all you can out of it by asking questions and giving me your opinions! Let me know how God is working in your lives. If you post a prayer request, I will pray for you!